Thursday, October 18, 2018

Why I decided on trying a capsule wardrobe...


I am very early on in my year long clothes shopping ban.
And quite frankly, I am kind of freaking out!!! Already.

I know why I am doing this. 
Consumerism makes no sense as it is now.
People all over the world are abused so that we can change our clothes every season or even more often... for a really cheap price!
The cotton industry is one of the more polluting one with excessive use of pesticides.
Landfills are loaded with perfectly wearable clothes.
Destroyed denim is done using a chemical that is neurotoxic and leave workers with permanent damages to their system over time...
Child labor.
And I could go on and on...

I could pretend I don't know that.
I could say that I am only punishing myself as I don't have a big enough impact.
But in the end of the day, I have to sleep at night.
I have to live with my conscience.

But I LOVE CLOTHES!!! I LOVE TO BUY THEM, WEAR THEM, CHANGE OUTFIT MORE THAN ONCE A DAY...

Also, I am a reformed shopaholic. I've come a long way. I wanna keep going... so the shopping ban makes sense.

Plus, I have a short term goal for which every penny saved will make it more interesting! And a medium term goal which will definitely require me owning less clothes... ideally.

So I WILL DO THIS. 

Think I found something that could help myself create variety within my own closet at no cost!

Ever heard of a capsule wardrobe?

I tried it in the past but the idea of wearing the same 30 or so items for a whole season did not please me at all. Too restrictive, borderline boring.

But then, I read "the curated closet" and the author mentionned that you can change your capsule wardrobe every month!!! Wow!!! Why didn't I think of that before?

I started the next day... pulled out all my clothes. Chose the ones that were the most season appropriate. Decided to start with 2 pants, 2 skirts and a dress and build from there...
An hour later, I had 29 items, including outerwear, scarves and footwear that I will wear until the end of November at which point I will create my next capsule wardrobe and so on for every month of the year of my shopping ban.

This morning, I took an extra hour to come up with outfits and take pictures. There are a few here and more on my Instagram account.

I had so much fun... and I could have kept going...so many more ideas! You can create many outfits with 29 items and a little experience and creativity!!!




This dress can be worn in so many ways...  as a tunic on top of jeans and t-shirts is one of my favorite! I would also wear the t-shirt on top, lose the jeans and wear leggings...


Jeans skirt from this summer with a t-shirt and sweater... but also with a boho tunic or a flannel shirt!


And two more where you can actually create about 6 outfits with those items!!! When all your color match it gets really easy!!!

Over the year, I am hoping this will help me eliminate a few items - either because their quality is not there or just because I "force" myself to  wear them but don't really want to. Or they are not flexible enough to be worn at least 2 seasons and in different ways!

Have you ever tried a capsule wardrobe?
And did it work for you? Why? Why not?

Chloe 💜&✌

No comments:

Post a Comment