Thursday, October 11, 2018

Shopping ban update


On September 18th I started a shopping ban. You can read about it here.

Now in order to support my decision, I  started reading the book in the above picture.

Quite frankly, I am outraged!

There are no new facts in there... just stuff I know and am well aware off, but chose to ignore. Like we all do. It's easier. We don't have to think about it. We do not need to make an effort to change.

I am outraged at my own selfishness...
I know better!
It's time I stop playing the ostrich.
We are running out or resources.
People are literally dying.

I need to look up more into manufacturers and their policies. I need to find real eco friendly sweat shop free ethical brands. There has to be something...

Did you know that the average households contains 300,000 items? No kidding.
Did you know that the average household as at least three times more screen than people in it?
We are constantly bombarded by marketing that is more and more targeted to what we like as we are being spied on when we go online (cookies anyone?).
Did you know that marketers, long ago, figured out how to use their publicitities to trigger dopamine (the feel good hormone)? Hence making us addicted to, not only their product, but to buying in general. The dopamine rush is short lived but addictive... so when you get it, it runs out fast but you need a fix not too long after... so you buy more...
Did you know that the textile industry is the second more polluting after meat?
Did you know that we send every year so much clothes to landfill that we are running out of space and sending our garbage to Third World country? How is this even acceptable?

I don't know about you, but me, knowing all that, and the fact that we are abusing the Earth, it's resources (cotton is grown using excessive amount of pesticides for example) and people (sweat shop, destroyed denims made with dangerous chemicals creating irreversible nerve damage to the workers)... and creating irreparable damages to our planet makes me want to think twice before buying something...

For that reason, I am turning my three months clothes shopping ban into a year long one. As of today.
Therefore I am not to buy clothes until October 10th, 2019. Or at least do my very best not to.

I won't lie. It won't be easy. I love clothes...
But I have to try really hard.
Look into alternative.
More sustainable ones...
In a year, I should change how I see buying clothes , find better options, discover better brands, other ways...

I already do thrift store shopping randomly and if the absolute need to get clothes arise, I will thrift store shop - but will seriously try not to. Even more than ever before.

There are 3 exceptions:

1) I need waterproof winter boots. I can't do without where I live. Mine were worn out.

2) Replacing worn out socks and underwear. But this is never where I like to spend money...

3) I have 100$ that I got as a gift from my husband to buy myself something nice. Which means "clothes I like" in his language. I will have to see the smartest way to use it.

In order to put more chances of success on my side, I have already unlike and unfollow every "store" I was following. I certainly do not need the stimulation... also, I will stay away from stores as much as I can... only problem here is that my husband loves to hang out at the mall for an hour or so regularly. Perhaps he could go by himself?

Those of you who have been following me for a while might remember that this is not my first trial at a shopping ban... and that usually, I don't succeed at 100%... BUT, every time I get better at it! And this is what matters. And quite frankly this time around I feel more confident about it... I think this is really the next big thing to be addressed in my life.

Who's joining me?
In your own way is great... just try something!

Chloe 💜&✌





No comments:

Post a Comment