Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Essentialism


Weniger aber besser

Or, in English, less is better.

I like that.

For years, I was calling myself a minimalist or practicing minimalism when asked what was this lifestyle I chose. But, as I mentioned before I could not identify properly with the label. It felt negative. It felt like I had to deprive myself. The word did, not how I saw it and lived it. However, when asked to explain, I found most people where uncomfortable with the word. No matter how I explained it and for how long, many walked away with a feeling of doing with less, getting rid of what they loved, depriving themselves... and there was not much I can do. It was "common knowledge" that minimalist had nothing. And don't get me started with the word frugal.

I get the words and I understand that they are just that: words. But, uncomfortable, bearing a negative connotation in our society of always more, always faster, always better.

I do believe that this lifestyle could save our Mother Earth. In order to do so, more people need to embrace it. For that to happen, the word used should feel more positive.

I stumbled upon a book at my library called "Essentialism - The Discipline Pursuit of Less" by Greg McKeown.

Love the book which I am not quite done reading and absolutely fell in love with the word "essentialism".
Isn't it lovely? More positive? Feels like you have all you need?

Essentially how I live... claiming that less is better, choosing quality over quantity in everything: relationships, work, what you own, activities...

Who needs quantity in this world? We need quality... more than ever. We need meaning. We need depth.

Quantity has proven it doesn't work in so many ways. It makes us stress, sick, it depletes natural resources, rids us of time...

Quality is everything. Who needs a circle of 25 friends who barely have time for you when you can have 2 who will absolutely show up because they also value quality? Who needs a big house full of stuff if you are hardly ever there to use it? A wardrobe with all the latest fashion finds when it changes every month and they probably don't even reflect who you are... An agenda fill with things to do but no space to catch your breath? We all need to breathe...

Obviously, it implies making choices. It requires trade-off.
You can't have it all!

But more on that later.

For now, look at quality in your life.
Keep that. Focus on it.

I will help you with the rest in the upcoming weeks.

I find fall to be a wonderful time to let go.
Just like trees let go if their "old leaves" that will not serve them well comes winter, you can let go if what will not serve you well in the next season of your life.

Meditate on this.

If you liked this, please share.
Chloe 💜&✌

No comments:

Post a Comment