Sunday, September 30, 2018

Pantry challenge: what and why?


Hello!

This week end I decided it was time for a pantry challenge.
I do these about twice a year, spring and fall...

A pantry challenge is an period of time for which I try not to buy non-perishable food. Now, different people do it different ways... my goal is to use up as much as possible the food I have in my pantry to see what I buy too much of, what I don't eat so much anymore, and also save dollars! This means, using up flour by making some fake meat, scones and or muffins... using up legumes by making tortillas, stuffed baked potatoes, dips... and so on and so forth! Get it?

Of course at some pointI may need to buy more of something to use up an ingredient. If that happensm I try to buy as little as possible!

Now, I know I still have to buy food... especially fruits and veggies! I know I'll need to buy more food after the challenge... I am not insane! But I know that this will allow me to refine my pantry and see what I really need to stock or not!

It will also allow me to see how much food I buy for no good reason other then it being on sale... for example, when I see rice cake on special I buy a few packs... 2-3... but I am the only one really eating them! As a result, I have left overs for a while... they keep well but take up space which I have very little of and plan on having even less of in the near future!

It will help me address my "being scared of running out of food", overestimating how much we eat and how fast we eat it!

So ready, set, go!!! Let's see what comes out of it!

Who's in?

If you like don't forget to register on top of the page and please share!!!

Chloe 💜&✌

No comments:

Post a Comment