Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Why I don't like labels


"We must never allow other people's limited perception define us" Virginia Satir

I used to define myself as a minimalist vegan yogi.
I no longer do...
Let me explain...

I used those labels as I was trying to figure out who I was. I needed to belong to a group in order to exist. I became different then how I was raised and all my knowledge of who I was or who I should be was shaken up... I was rejected by so many... I needed like minded people and groups of strangers with similar beliefs was the closest thing I could get.

Those labels, those strangers were giving me a feeling of belonging. Guidelines to follow.

They made me realize who I truly was.
If you give me guidelines, I will give my 200% to follow them and be the best at it. Or at least I used to.

Then I realized that guidelines easily become rules for extremists... and then you loose me.  When people push to much, I question more...

Let's look at each of my old labels.

Minimalist.

Most minimalists will say that there are no rules to be one. But social media, can be wonderful but also the worse thing tbat was ever invented! Dig a little and you will find classes of minimalists. Those who own less than a 100 items, those who dress with 33 items of clothing, those who live out of a backpack and travel the world owning nothing,  those who own nothing physically but everything digitally and I could go on and on... There is nothing wrong with that in itself... as long as they are happy that way! What is wrong is the judgement between the different minimalists. They are apparently not all created equals. In the end it made me feel like no matter what I did, I could never be "minimalist enough"... so I came up with what works for me!
I don't own very much because I like to move and it makes it easy... I have 7 cupboards in my kitchen and everything fits in there including food... I own 7 books and 5 cd's and most of the time I live without home internet! But I have many clothes and jewelry! Not even close to what I use to have but more then some... and that's ok! I LOVE CLOTHES! Very little furniture  and all 18 years or older... because I don't care for furniture... but that is what works for ME!

Vegan.

I was vegetarian but then became vegan to be "closer to perfection" so I thought. I was a strict vegan for 4 years. But here again, go figure, you can be "not vegan enough"! I would have starved or be naked instead of eating/wearing anything that may have touched an animal! But it was not emough as I was not an animal activist or owned a shelter... It was really hard! Anyone who says the opposite is lying! I wanted to travel more... and being so restrictive with food makes it hard! And I don't always feel like making all my food all the time! So, I started allowing stuff... I would eat a muffin even if it was most likely made with dairy, I would get store bought cookies every now and then... but no dairy as stand alone! and then added back eggs! If there is caramel M&M I WILL eat some! This summer, while camping, I had marshmallow on the camp fire and I absolutely loved it! I am definitely no longer vegan but not vegetarian either as I don't eat cheese ever... and that's ok! I eat what I want and what works for me... and it will change over time. Because this is what humans do: change, adapt, evolve!

Yogi.

Same thing here... I do a simple yoga practice that focuses more on basic asanas, meditation and pranayama. I also follow the yamas and nayamas as well as dietary guidelines because they work for me. It makes me feel good and healthy! I don't follow yoga trends... I do yoga in my pj's, at home, never post a picture of me in a yoga pose... it is more of a spiritual practice and how can you capture spirituality in a picture!? In my opinion, developing my spiritual self means letting go of my ego self... so there can't be no pictures of me showing off in a head stand or arm balance...

Therefore, honestly, use any words to describe me you want to but I will never fit perfectly... I don't do rules. I don't want to anymore. I don't need to. I am happy and busy enough being me. I do what works for me. And so should you. But you need to figure that out... so try stuff! Experiment! Try labels and then own them... make them yours -your way! Nothing can be one size fits all! We are complex beings... at the very least, I know I am! Very complex... and proud of it!

Chloe 💜&✌

No comments:

Post a Comment