Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Quality over quantity


Last time I wrote was last Wednesday... it has been a while.
I have no excuses.... no explanations.

I just had nothing to write about.  Life went on. And if I don't have anything specific to write about, I just don't.

This morning I realized that I want to share with you why I sometimes write 3 posts a week and sometimes none.  I think it would be honest of my to come clean on that.

See, the thing is, I have had this blog for years now...  and I have had periods where I wrote more and some where I wrote less... I even stopped for almost a year not long ago!

I have had time period where I got really serious about this.  I took classes and read books and online material about how to grow an online business from a blog.  And I did try...  but I can't stick to it!

Not because of lack of discipline or knowledge about how to do it.
Rather because of my love-hate relationship with social media and online world!

I have to admit that the Internet can be a wonderful thing.  It has introduced me to a bunch of like minded people, it allows us to do online banking instead of having to wait in line between 10am and 3pm... you can buy airplane tickets and make travel arrangements...  you can actually find valuable information and get more knowledgeable!  The world is at your fingertip and we are now one global village in a sense...  but there are so many dark side to it.  It only reflects what people actually load on it...  and there are many lies and make believe...  and it's easy to get caught up in comparison...  Humans tends to do that, compare themselves to the people around them and feel bad about their own lives...  but with the Internet, there are so many people to compare yourself to!  It can be endless... And this is why I am, sometimes, not too found of it...

When I did all the training about how to have a successful blog, the most important point that came up is "be there"!  All the time basically... you have to follow people on social media and blogs, read and comment!  You have to like and share and comment and follow and tweet and re tweet and so on and so forth...  I did it for a while and it actually does work, over time, in direct relationship to the time you invest and the people you "get to know". Just like a regular business. It is very time consuming... and confusing... and every time I try and do that, I loose myself...  I compare and compete! I spend more time reading and commenting and trying to make friends and looking up my numbers then actually living.  I spend more time reading about other people's life and trying to see how I can write on the same subject my own way...  so much time making plans and mind maps and list of subject/ideas/topics to write on that I hardly have time to write! So much time trying to be better than them to have more readers...

I forget to live my life.  And my blog is about my life. So, if I don't live, I have nothing to write about interesting enough... no original material.

I am not a business person!  I am not a good seller... you either like me or you don't. Honestly, it's up to you.  I am no longer trying to convince you to like me.  It is too hard.  And useless... I did it. It did not work well for me. I'd rather be honest and real.  I'd rather have a few people who like and read me for who I am than a bunch expecting me to be someone I am not.  I do not want to play a role.  My desire is that if ever you and I actually meet in person, you will not be surprise... you will have the feeling that you've know me for a while.

Another thing you have to do to be a successful blogger, is write on a regular basis to create expectations from your reader.  They have to know that a post will come up every other day or so at a specific time! And you better not miss it. You have to pick, preferably, one subject and stick to it to grow your audience (minimalism, nutrition, veganism, yoga, knitting traveling...).  And successful blogger do that. I did follow a few for a while... now, not so much - I only follow a few authentic ones now.  There is only so much one can write about any one subject, three times a weeks for years, without repeating themselves. After a while it gets redundant... almost like a copy paste... to keep it real you have to diversify yourself.  You have to evolve and follow life.  Nothing is static and does not change for years...  so why would a blog be like that?

I like to write about many things I am passionate about.  I mostly like to write, I have discovered lately, about how I feel, my emotions, why I do what I do, what I try and succeed in or not...  I like to write about life.  All of it - the good, the bad and the ugly as they say.  My life.

I don't care what the rules are about successful blogging...  I just can't keep up with them.  There is no way I will spend hours each day on the Internet to grow my business and then write about a social media or phone detox. There is no way I could be comfortable writing about minimalism or essentialism if I followed thousands of people through different media and blogs (digital clutter is a real thing). I could not write about my yoga practice if I did not have time to experiment yoga and meditation.  How can you share about books if you have no time to read any?  How can you talk about a camping or outdoor experience if you spend it on your phone keeping in touch or tracking numbers?

I am not saying this is what everyone does... I am not saying everyone out there is a fake...

I am just saying that I do not understand how I could be one of those successful blogger if this is what you need to do. I would feel fake.

I like my little routine of morning yoga/meditation, walking, reading, knitting...  and sometimes shopping and cooking or meeting a friend for coffee. I like to spend a few minutes on social media but after 20 minutes I get a headache and need to breathe...  I cannot spend hours in front of a computer or a tablet and I refuse to own a smart phone!

I know that if the Internet did not exist I could now write a blog, and you and I would have, in most instances, never "met", but still, I am not after high numbers!  I want committed, dedicated people like me... I want real people... I want people who are genuinely happy to read me when I write and do not care if I skip a week.... because I want you and I to have the mutual understanding that there is more to life than a screen... there is more to your life then reading about mine and there is more to my life than writing to improve yours.

This is not a competitive space.  I want this blog to be a space of respect, a place where you feel you can come when you want...  and I do the same.  You can read what you care about and skip the rest...  You do not have to agree with me all the time... and I should not write to please you...

I write me. Period.

Writing here had allow me to grow and evolve and change and understand who I am and why...  It has actually been more of a journaling than a public experience even if I sometimes have quite a few readers...

I have notice that, posts where I open my heart and express my emotions, are much more read and share... and I get it. I do that more now.  I am more transparent. I do not share only the good stuff...  because then I would not be believable.  In my opinion.

My goal is not to make you feel like I am better than you.  I am different than you.  And you are different than me.  We both have different backgrounds and life and I hope mine can help you.

You are good enough.  You can do this.  You can win this battle - which ever battle you are fighting now.

And remember,

"The mountains you are carrying, you were only suppose to climb" Najwd Zebian

Once you get that, everything becomes simpler.

This is what this week of not writing my blog has allow me to discover... I have had time to reflect and think about my relationship with this blog.  I realize it is essential for me to do it... but in my own way.  Not following rules... especially not rules that, according to me, go against what I write about.

On that note, anything you would like me to share with you in following posts???  Do not hesitate to contact me...

If you liked what you read, please share...
Chloe 💜&✌

No comments:

Post a Comment