Wednesday, July 4, 2018

My reading marathon


Back in January 2016 I started a reading marathon. My objective was to read 42 books during the year... To some this might not seem like a lot but I was never much of a reader!

Sure, I remember reading "Helen Keller" when I was about 10, then "Neverending story" and "Notre-Dame de Paris" around 15 and "The three Musketeers" at about 19... those are the books I remember enjoying... along with my all time favorite "The little Prince" which I probably read 20 times!!! I did read many more out of obligation for school but they didn't really interested me. And then some more as an adult but you know who as time to read?!? In 40 and then some years it is not very much...

You know life... I was mostly into sport as a kid/teenager... Then I went to University and studied science... Started working, got sick, bought a house, had a kid, got divorce, then more sick (has it had never been resolved), worked, worked and worked while raising a kid and starting a new relationship... Reading? Come on! No time for that...

Then I got really sick and had time off... I read "Narnia", the whole 900 and some pages in 5 days as I couldn't do much else. I loved it and it made me want to pick up reading...  In order to resolve my health and mental issues, as suggested by my psychologist, I took up yoga. I started reading about it, along with anything about chakras meditation  healing... which led me to reading about Feng  Shui,  minimalism and nutrition. This is mostly what I did from 2003 to 2016.

In 2015, I was working part time and picked up reading a little more, widening my horizon, and this is where the idea of a reading marathon came along. At the pace I was reading then, and the time I allowed myself reading, 42 books in a year was challenging... it averaged 3,5 books per month!  But as I read more, I picked up speed and finally ended my 42nd book mid October! I was thrilled and by then I had became an avid reader! I expanded my reading list to pretty much anything!!! 

I had learned to let the Universe chose what I was reading... let me explain.   I would make a list of what my friends were reading, of what some stranger sitting next table to me was reading, I would take suggestions, note what book were mentioned in the one I was reading, pick up anything that draw my attention at the library either because it seemed misplaced or was a recommendation... I did not buy any books! Only library of friend's loan... I came to realize that I read 42 books in a little over 9 months that were all exactly what I needed when I read them!!! They were making me laugh when I needed to relax, cry when I had to let stuff go, reflect and dig deeper when I was ready for it... By letting things happen, I have resolved many issues during those 42 books!

Then, a friend of mine, suggested that I kept reading at the same pace, letting books come to me in the same way, until I reach 150  books claiming that something would happen... and it did!!! At the time I expected to reach that point by the end of 2018... but as they say, when something is important to you and you keep showing up to it, the Universe will make it so that you can keep doing it more and more! And this is what happened! It is now mid 2018 and I have read around 200 books. I am no longer keeping track, I just read a lot!  I have an ever growing list of to-read books.  I still let the books chose me and take what they have to teach me.  I have read numerous novels, old and new... scientific books on evolution, trees, animals... philosophy and psychology... more about meditation, yoga, chakras and the meaning of life... about religion and spirituality... biographies... I have to admit that in every book there was something to be learned! Every book carried a message.  I have been able to grow, learn and heal... I have resolved very old issues... and I like to believe that I am a better person for it.  I know that I am definitely happier and more at peace!

And, the most amazing thing is that as I read, I kept picking up speed, my memory improved and my brain started working in a different way... relationships between stuff were understood - links between seemingly unrelated subjects were seen... as if my brain became a giant web of knowledge and understanding! I am not pretending I know everything... far from it! But I know more and understand differently! I disvovered new interests. Life became clearer! I found my path... and developed a more regular meditation and yoga practice.  I also made reading a must in my daily routine. I will keep on reading... I don't know how I made it all those years without it...

I am grateful for my friend who will recognize himself here... it was one of the best suggestion anyone ever gave me!

Chloe 💜&✌

No comments:

Post a Comment