Thursday, June 28, 2018

Living without home internet


For years now I haven't had cables... I would use Netflix. Of course it doesn't have everything so I had to come at peace with not knowing how some of the shows I was watching ended. But really, I can't even remember what those shows were!!!
 
And a few years back I gave up my smart phone for a flip phone with no internet access... That was a bigger shock! I felt completely disconnected... like life was happening without me! I even had a phase where I did not wanted to go out as much as I was unreachable in case of an emergency! Really? Who gets in touch with someone for an emergency over FB or IG? You use a phone!!! I got over this... in time...

I would access internet from my computer (which eventually died) and then an old iPod. As nothing last forever, nor for very long either anymore, that too died in May... so I bought a tablet -an android, not very expensive but it does what I need it to do!

Going to a flip phone decreased the time I was on line by a great deal! I couldn't check everything all the time anymore! And I slowly started enjoying being "away" from that 24/7 connection... So I would leave my home to get that feeling of being free, independent, not connected...

When I bought my tablet in May, I had this crazy idea of going without home internet - at least give it a try for the summer! I could check social mecias, emails and do my banking when I do to my daily coffe shop date with my husband - we go there to read/talk and stay a couple hours...  use the library to get movies, tv series... this would mean giving up YouTube for music but I could invest in a few CDs... or get some from the library... or just enjoy the silence!

It also meant I couldn't be able to look up random stuff on  the internet just for fun... But I wasn't doing it that much right?

Well, I have been internet free for 6 weeks now. I was using it much more then I thought! I was posting more then I realised and checking my "like" way too frequently... I was also watching more tv then I wished for... and the number of time I found myself wanting to check something on internet? Unbelievable... Things I might want or need, recipes I might do, videos I might watch... what happened to this star/personality, what is the outcome of a show... CRAZY!!! For me anyway....

After 6 weeks, I can say that besides when I write this blog, I spend maximum 30-45 minutes on the internet daily for everything! Then I get fed up... Check my 2 social media accounts and email daily, do my banking once a week, check library site once a week, read an article or look something up once in a blue moon...

What do I do with the extra 2-3 hours daily? I read more... even more! I picked up Sudoku, started knitting again and I am working on a couple secret projects... you guys will be the first to know when the time comes.

The best outcome of all this? My morning routine! I can't check internet/socia, media's upon rising... therefore my yoga/meditation practice as gain a lot from that! I am now getting close to an hour practice of meditation, breathing, asanas... and my whole body-mind-spirit is thanking me for it! I also find myself sitting down in silence for a short breathing/meditation session in the afternoon and at night!

I can see more clearly... enjoy my life as I can't compare to that of others as much... I am more present... and way more creative!!!

I would highly recommend to everyone to try some sort of letting go of the constant connection... there are many ways to do so... look it up! Try it! Who knows who you might find behind that phone!?!

Chloe 💜&✌

No comments:

Post a Comment