Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Why moving help me define who I am


This picture was taken right before we closed the door of our last moving truck (June 2014).  There really was not more then that.  It was a 14' truck and we did not even manage to fill it between the 3 of us!

But let's back track...

I spent the first 23 years of my life in the same home.  Born and raised in one place...
Then I moved out in my first apartment into which I stayed for 2 years... and bought a home.  Into which I was convinced, at the time, that I would spend the rest of my life in... I stayed there 4 years... That was in 2002 and ever since that day, of Oct 31st 2002 I have stayed in 6 more homes. Including another house from 2002 to 2006... then apartments!

I discovered that I LOVE moving!!!  I was, up until almost 2 years ago, always in the same city but it was a huge one and quite frankly I have lived in many very different parts of it... Every time requires adaptation... Every time required you go through your stuff and box it up or let it go... Every time you need to re-install yourself and once again choose where everything goes and if everything needs or deserve to stay part of your life... Every time by going through your physical stuff you cleanse physically but also psychologically! Letting go or keeping stuff has an immense power over your life... believe it or not.

I won't lie... moving from my first apartment into my first house was a nightmare!  I was highly unprepared and really stressed out! I cared to much about everything... and it made it not fun!

However, after that, it all became more fun every time... I feel like I am born again and can re-invent myself!

No one knows you on a new street... so you can break old pattern without worrying people will talk...  You can create a new life and attract more like minded people... You can completely dress in a different way and no one will know...  It's like you are a brand new person! It's a white canvas that you paint how you like...
Of course you can always paint over an existing canvas but the work required is much more...

This, the white canvas, actually holds even more true if you move far far away!  On my last move, we took the moving truck 973km away from our original town...  We switch province...  We had to say good bye to everyone we knew all our life including family...  We moved into a city where no one knew us... Into a place where there was no such jobs as what we use to do...

Three completely white canvas that were to be painted how we wanted them to be...

Whether we like to admit it or not our families, friends, work collegue can hold us back if we want to make a 180 degree change to our lives...  because they may not be ready to do so themselves... because they may not want to loose you... because it may triggers insecurities a about their own lives!

Moving can sometimes be the best option.

We needed to step away from our old life and even though moving every 2 years or so was a nice progress... the actual complete switch occurred when we completely moved away!

No one knew us... no more family engagement... no work obligations... no social gatherings... All 3 of us in a new city and open to completely different opportunities!

My son turned into a fine young man... and I have seen him blossom... Really! I have never seen him so confident...  and well surrounded.
My husband found his dream job and even though it was less money then he made in the last 25 years of his life he had to try cause there was nothing else (it was something he was considering back in Montreal but would not accept the pay cut)...  he ended up really loving it!
I have managed to work part time and be able to concentrate on my family life and health.  This was what was most important to me....  have I not moved here, it would have been way more difficult to do so...

By considering moving anywhere you can actually look into what suits you! Not all cities, even within the same country, offer the same advantages, have the same cost of living and the same environment...  There can be huge differences!

I truly believe that in Montreal, having spend 41 years there I could have never become who I am now... I tried but there was too many obstacles of all kind!  I was able to somewhat be who I wanted to be but some parts were inaccessible for many different reasons.

And this is why I have not created roots anywhere since I moved in 2006...  I no longer wish to... I stay somewhere as long as I see it fit and then move on... My home is where my husband, son and I are...

It will be the same with Moncton... It is perfect now but I will want to move again one day...  the only difference is that now, I will not move within the same city (Moncton is so small that anywhere you go you see the same faces - or pretty much - even after only 19 months spent here)...  If I move, I am going elsewhere... I am trying something different...  completely different because really having roots is not for me - or not that kind of roots anyway.  I love to try different things, meet new people and see different landscape!

Be who you are... DREAM your life... LIVE your dream...

No comments:

Post a Comment