Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Muffin recipe


Hi guys!

I rarely post recipes here...  because I am far from being a food blogger...  I am not a chef either... And I cook/bake really basic things.... and I have no presentation skills what so ever!

BUT, a few people have been asking me for simple cheap and vegan recipes... and THAT I can provide... therefore don't mind the picture... or the way the recipe is layed out... but the result should be OK....

This is a muffin recipe that really does not take long to put together... it can have many different variations... which I am sharing with you and hope you'll share, in comments, the variation you tried... do not be afraid to share!  No one here is criticizing or judging!

This recipe bakes in 15-20 minutes at 400F.  Just make sure it is baked before pulling it out....  I find that different variations may take different time to bake... oh.... and also, my oven cooks/bakes much faster then my previous one therefore you may need to adjust for your own oven!

Fixed ingredients list:
 1 1/2 cup flour (whole wheat or unbleached all purpose - up to you)
3/4 cup raw cane sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup safflower oil
1tbsp ground flax seed in 3 tbsp water (this is your "egg")
1/3 - 1/2 cup liquid
1 cup of fruits and/or nuts


Now for the variations, here are a few that I already tried...

Banana chocolate chip
- use unsweetened organic soy milk for liquid
-add one mashed banana
- add 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chip (I use "enjoy life")
- add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts - optional (you can also replace with coconut flakes)

Maple
- use half of maple syrup and half unsweetened organic soy milk for your liquid
- add chopped pecans - optional

Cranberry - Orange
- use orange juice for liquid
- add pure orange extract - optional - it can be expensive
- add 1/2 to 1 cup cranberries

Pineapple- Orange-Coconut
- use orange juice as liquid
- add 1/2 cup mashed fresh pineapple
- add 1/4 cup dry unsweetened coconut

Double chocolate chip
- use nut or soy milk for liquid - always unsweetened
- add cocoa powder
- add chocolate chip  (I use "enjoy life")

Raisins
- use nut or soy milk for liquid - always unsweetened
- add 1/2 cup dry raisins
- add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Raspberries
- use nut or soy milk for liquid - always unsweetened
- add 3/4 cup frozen raspberries
- you may add nuts if you want to...

This is pretty much all the ones I tried... 

As for instructions... quite simple.... Take a big mixing bowl.  Put in all you dry ingredients.  Add the wet ingredients.  Mix well.  Finish by adding any fruits/dry fruits and or nuts... mix a little more!
Pour into muffin baking mold and you're all set!

This recipe makes about 8 medium size muffins... and for that reason I often double it and freeze a few muffins... they are just as good once thaw or warmed up in the oven!

Now if you ever try anything else, please let me know....

I know that next I will try and turn these muffin into mini fruit cakes... by adding, well you know, fruits that are used in fruits cakes and some walnuts and pecans!  I'll let you know how this turns out...

Hope you will enjoy those muffin as much as my family does...
They are for sure healthier then any muffins you can buy elsewhere...  and you know what's in them!

Enjoy!

love&peace,
nath
xox
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=734016786



1 comment: