Thursday, May 10, 2012

Vegan Khichdi

A friend vegan friend of mine who's dad is from India, recommended I try this recipe... as it is her favorite comfort food...  It is healthy, complete...  and has many different flavors to it...  I am not a big fan of Indian cuisine as my taste buds are not particulary used to the spices they put in...  and I am not use to cook with spices!  However, I know that using them is quite healthy and I am try to incorporate more in my cooking. So having a friend recommend something authentic and saying that is was really comforting, I gave it a try!

Ingredients:

1/2 cup of basmati rice (rinsed)
1/4 cup of lentils (any colour would do, rinsed)
2 tsp of Garam Masala (or to taste)
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 medium potato diced
1 medium carrot diced
3 cups water
Oil
Salt to taste
you can also add cauliflower, green peas or try any other vegetables that are slow cooking... do not be afraid to experiment!

Directions:

1) heat the oil and fry the onion until it is transludent
2) add Garam Masala and mix with onion and spices
3) add rice and lentils and fry a few more minutes
4) add water, salt, and other vegetables
5) lower heat and let simmer untill rice is cooked

Please note that I had to add more water during cooking... so stay close... texture should be ''runnny'' when serving!

It took about an hour all in all....  inclulding vegetables preparation and cooking....

I was amazingly surprise by this recipe!  It tasted GREAT!  and it was really comforting!!!

I have left over... so I will have that again tonight!  See how it taste when you reheat it without a microwave (which I do not own). 

If anyone tried to freeze some, let me know how it turns out!  I am pretty sure it would still be great!  Next time I make this, I might try cooking a big batch to freeze some and have it ready for ememrgency dinners, I never eat any manufactured frozen meals... so I do bulk cooking and freeze left over for another week when I have less time to cook or simply do not feel like it!!!

namaste,
nathalie 

















No comments:

Post a Comment