Tuesday, March 8, 2016

A few of my recipes....

As promise, here are a few of my go-to recipes...

I mentioned before that I was trying to simplify my eating...
Adopting the McDougall program surely did that...  and as I was already vegan, the transition has not been to hard.  I can surely say that I am 95% McDougalling... hahaha! Yes this is a term in his group discussions and FB page!

Them main goal of eating this way is to:

- add starches to your diet (potatoes, rice, complete grains... and potatoes!)
- avoid all animal product
- eat real food (no process stuff, no supplements)
- eat food in it's most natural state (no juices or smoothies)
- stay clear of refined flour and sugar
- avoid fat in all process ways (margarine, oil...)

Basically eat starches, fruits and veggies till you're full...  eat less protein.... and very little fat!

It is called the WFPB diet (whole food plant based diet)

There are many scientific evidences over the course of decades and in many different areas of this planet that point towards this being the healthiest diet for our bodies!

All that being said, you can make your own research as I provided the link to start off with....  You can also read this book (and he has a few more) and make you own decisions....  but whether you opt for that program or not, the recipes I am sharing down here are delicious, simple and cheap.... as well as nutritious! Enjoy!

Tomatoes barley soup.

onion finely chopped
clove garlic finely chopped
mushrooms to taste finely chopped
barley
can tomatoes (diced or pureed depending on your preference)
veggie broth
Italian herbs

I am leaving quantities up to you as you can adapt according to your liking...

Sauteed in a little water (remember we use no oil when possible) the onion, garlic and mushroom until they are tender.  Add the barley and mix well. Add the Italian herbs and mix some more. When all this is well mixed, add the veggie broth and can of tomatoes.  Bring to a boil.  Lower heat and cook until the barley is ready.  More or less an hour.  Allow to stand for 15-20 minutes before serving.

This soup is delicious as is...  you can also do a version without the tomatoes if you wish.... In which case I call it my mushroom barley soup!  I also did that exact same soup without the mushrooms but find that they add some earthy flavors that I very much like. Technically, you could also add celery (with the onions mixture at the beginning)...  and why not finely cut spinach at the end of cooking time? But I like to keep it simple....

You can easily freeze left over of that soup.

Along side of that soup, you can serve Cubed bake tofu.

Take a block of firm tofu and cut into cube.  Season with soy sauce and garlic powder.  Mix.  Bake at 350F for about 30 minutes (depending on your oven). There is your added protein - for those who prefer more protein still... Even if there is sufficient proofs that we, in America eat on average as much as 3 times more proteins then we need!
Just make sure your tofu does not have "soy isolate protein" which is process.  I also always make sure to buy organic tofu - this is the one of the products I will not buy non-organic!

You can also serve that soup with Cubed bake potatoes.

This is something my family eats almost every single day of the week...

Peel and cube potatoes.  Place in mixing bowl and add salt, Italian herbs and paprika.  Mix well. Bake at 420F for 30-40 minutes depending on the potatoes.

You can also do that with sweet potatoes in which case I skip the Italian herbs and add cayenne.  It gives you sweet and spicy potatoes!  Make sure you adjust cooking time as they often cook in less time then regular potatoes!

So..... there you have it! One of my regular meals...  we eat this once a week...

Hope you'll try and enjoy it!
Do not hesitate to share with me variations to these...  I am always in for trying variations of something that I  love...  it makes it more fun!

Be who you are... DREAM your life... LIVE your dream...
namaste
love&peace,
chloe
xox
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=734016786
https://www.pinterest.com/briseboisnathal/



No comments:

Post a Comment