Saturday, April 23, 2011

Doing dishes

I wonder at what age we stop seeing doing the dishes as a fun water game?

Over the last few days, I have been with my son 24 h a day... except for this yoga class on Thursday night... He is 10 years old... At several times he hasked me to help with daily chores.. wether it be making bread,  laundry, paking the grocery, storing the grocery once we get home, doing the dishes...  I was surprised by that...  When he was younger, he would always do the dishes with my husband...  when it was time, he would bring a chair by the sink and just help... he started doing this when he was about 2 but stopped around 5 because he would then do his homework...  So when he offered me tonight I did not say no...

I was looking at him having fun doing this simple task...  that basically consist of playing in the water...  and this is really how he saw it...  he would make music with glasses, splash water...  and laugh... 

Samething for the laudry... he had a blast just pouring the detergent evenly all over the clothes....

Those are chores we, as adult, do every day... and are sometimes grumpy about... but to him, it was just another game...

When do we loose that???  When is it, that we start being grumpy about having to do things???  When do we no longer see them as a game???

No comments:

Post a Comment